- Stock Lake Tahoe 1 by Athena Stock [link]
- Silence by Paris Nogari (late 1500s)
- The Past by Thomas Cole (1838)
- The Omnipotent by William Blake (1794)
- The Present by Thomas Cole (1838)
- The Wounded Cavalier by William Shakespeare Burton (1855)
- Tree07 by ~HandOfLight [link]
- Overthrowing the Rusty Knight by Arthur Hughs (1908)
- Dead Tree 4 by World of Wiz [link]
- Venus and Mars by Sandro Botticelli (1480)
- A Knight at the Crossroads by Victor Vasnetsov (1878)
The Rest of the Story...
Moira is the Greek word for fate. The inspiration for Moira's Touch came from seeing two paintings by Thomas Cole. Both paintings were of Warrick Castle. One was Warrick as it must have appeared in its hay day, fresh and alive with activity and light; while the other painting was Warrick in ruins, dark and crumbling with decay.
My central theme became an expression of this contrast of dark and light, of creation and decay, of hope and despair. I wanted to create a mirror image with an idyllic Camelot-like vision on one side and a dark tragic tale expressed on the other.
Images on the left side were chosen to reflect light, color and beauty in a romanticized, almost naive, expression of optimism... the shinning knight, the damsel laying leisurely in the foreground, the bright, unmarred stonework of the castle glistening in the sun. And behind it all, a Heavenly Father quietly watching over us.
In contrast, the images on the right were chosen to reflect a dark saga that has run its course. All that was bright is now tarnished, decayed and dying. The images are gritty and soiled, barren and shadowed. And behind it all, Death stands quietly waiting for the tale to end.
To bind these opposing narratives, I chose two pictures, one representing fate and the other destiny. In the first, William Blake's The Omnipotent, fate is represented as a dramatic external force over which we have no control. In contrast, destiny is represented by a shimmering pool of light we live with every day. Unlike fate, that's forced upon us, destiny is something that we partake of and contribute to with every choice we make. While fate superimposes the story line, ultimately it is we as individuals who choose the characters and roles we play.